Behold! June 14th is National Bourbon Day! As if you really needed a special day to drink the great American drink!!!
As many know, but some may not, all bourbons are whiskeys but not all whiskeys are bourbons. Bourbon is special because it is legally binding. Congress declared what bourbon is in 1964 when Congress pass House Concurrent Resolution 57, which designated bourbon a “distinctive product” of the United States. The Senate followed suit and both houses passed Senate Concurrent Resolution 19, which set forth that bourbon was only to be made in the US.
What makes bourbon, bourbon? Well, there are rules:
- Produced in the United States (or territories)
- At least 51% corn
- Aged in new, charred oak barrels
- Distilled to no more than 160 proof
- Enters the barrel at no more than 125 proof
- Enters the bottle at no lower than 80 proof
Drink responsibly, and enjoy the day!